Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Blog Posting from Ruth at Teacher Park








I've always loved introducing my students to autumn poetry during our colorful autumn in New England. One of my favorites is Bliss Carmen's "Vagabond Song". Carmen, a Canadian, captures the true essence of autumn in his hauntingly beautiful poem. The music in this YouTube video is a perfect fit for  it. Take a minute to immerse yourself in the glory of autumn.


A Vagabond Song
by Bliss Carmen

There is something in the autumn that is native to my blood —
Touch of manner, hint of mood;
And my heart is like a rhyme,
With the yellow and the purple and the crimson keeping time.

The scarlet of the maples can shake me like a cry
Of bugles going by.
And my lonely spirit thrills
To see the frosty asters like a smoke upon the hills.

There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir;
We must rise and follow her,
When from every hill of flame
She calls and calls each vagabond by name. 




Another Favorite Autumn Poem! 

Download a supplemental literature and grammar skills activity to use with
 Clay Harrison's poem "Autumn is Nature's Masterpiece"
There is a handout for students and a teacher's answer key. 
Practice identifying elements of literature and polish those grammar skills!

Autumn is Nature’s Masterpiece
by Clay Harrison
Autumn is Nature's masterpiece
When every tree's aglow;
Before the leaves have fallen
And the hills are white with snow. 
The bounty of the harvest
Is a treasure to behold,
For the fruits of our labor
Are more valuable than gold. 
There's a change in the weather
That fills the heart with cheer;
With the holidays approaching
In the twilight of the year.
There's a feeling of thanksgiving
That comes to one and all;
When we count our many blessings
As the leaves begin to fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! Let me know you stopped by my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...